Tuesday 5 July 2011

Why do I still see their footprints?


I don't want them to read my heart, yet I yearn for someone to know my heart...
~

How earnestly one yearns to break free the shackles of emotional binding, and ironically, how desperately one craves for the very emotional bonds. Ostensibly they are two little words, but move on, translate into transcending two vast worlds; Worlds apart.

Life is a caravan, look around, there are many more; they keep reiterating. Yes many, then why is it that you get stuck to one or a few? It’s not that you don’t want to walk ahead, its not that you want to stay aloof, its not that you don’t want to laugh again, but then why is it that you just don’t move beyond little smiles, hesitant at times, plastic at others? Why? Why don’t you burst into mirth? Why is it that you are not ready to let anyone fill in that place in your system which once belonged to someone? Why do you fear replacement?

You chid yourself every morning and every night to walk ahead. Then why is it that you slip and slump into the wrong lane, one that’s just of memories. Time is the most whimsical player of the game. And you just can’t match your wit with its. Never. Shed all burden and past is one. There is still light around, still able enough to pep you up, still bright to show you ahead. Why is it that you decline their offer?

And after hauling yourself out of that lane, for the umpteenth number of time this day, as alike others, you just harangue! Move on. Replace. See ahead. They’ve walked their miles. There are others waiting to walk down with you. Yet, why do I still see the old footprints? 


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I broke up with those who were close, very very close. I thought I could handle the lane of memories and walk the road on my own. But how could I forget those with whom I spent my childhood, the one with whom I grew up laughing hard and harder everytime. Its easy when I say there are millions of other people on earth to be my friend but when I look at them, they just want to know my profile and how much money I have. Its easy when I say that I will get people who care for me more than those with whom I spent my lovely time but I know that I am not going to get my childhood laughters back and neither would they get them no matter how hard they deny the truth that they were meant to be together. The footprints will always be there ... in the mind as well as in the work we do.

Rajan said...

very true,..
hey anonymous,.. am just guessing you're one particular anonymous leaving back comments on every post...
if so,.. may i know who matches his frequency so much?

Anonymous said...

To this date, yes I am the same anonymous and I came across your blog through your facebook profile which I accidentally visited.

vijaylakshmi said...

Reading your blog after a long time...stumbled on it while visiting old memories and footprints...:-)
nice article

Rajan said...

hmm.. so it does make sense to shed your anonymity.

Rajan said...

ya viju,.. footprints do linger on...

a reader said...

you write so well.....your writings are damn impressive and the depth of it just leaves you speechless....

keep writing

Yamini Joshi said...

Luthy, The foot prints always remain. No matter how many miles away the other person has gone... those old footprints always remind you of a path full of fond memories. Our brain somehow eliminates all the bitter memories when looking back so no matter how much the hate, when you look back... the smile remains, just like the footprints. :)
p.s: I was going to tick the 'soulful' box and then i burst out into laughter!!!

Rajan said...

lol.. yamu!! 'soulful' ! :P
wow you can be serious, and talk with a straight face too..

reader said...

Only those people leave a footprint in our heart who were once very close to us....
But as they say "life should be understood backwards and lived forward". I believe that each and every footprint teaches u something....some learning is associated with each footprint and more the miles you go following them the more you're going to learn. i guess optimism is what one needs whenever one sees "their footprints"

prateekshankar dixit said...

The old footprints do not get washed away...they simply transform quietly into new ones....
...beautiful essay. miss the old days.

Rajan said...

they rather not transform
they rather not change
relative pains...
the one of transformation would be heavier than the one of seeing them in the sand.

prateekshankar dixit said...

actually the footprints are the only imprints of the memories you've had....the people who matter are the feet themselves who are always there....with you...its only when you take a step ahead, and look back, you realise they were there with you who have created the footprints....and so the coming footprints are never seen because they havent happened yet, but the feet still are...whether you take a step or stand still...they do not need to remind you that they are with you...you need to look at them to realise they never left

:)